There are different types of scissors and shears, and each has its own sphere of use. Medicine and cooking, construction and repairing, sewing and production – it is difficult to find an area where this tool is not used frequently. However, it will always be useful to have a set of them in your garage.
Scissors and shears differ in design, technical characteristics, and functionality. However, this time we will pay our closest attention to trauma shears. It is a medical instrument that is most often used for emergencies when it is needed to cut through the injured person’s clothing to get access to their wound. Paramedics or doctors must do it fast and effective, as it can directly affect another person’s health. That’s why choosing the best trauma shears is so important: having it in your garage will increase your safety.
If you don’t want to get lost when choosing trauma shears, you should first decide what you need them for. For example, are you a doctor? Is this a tool for your professional purposes? Or maybe you try to assemble a good first aid kit that is good to have in your household? Then, decide on the price range as well. If you want to have trauma shears in use for long, choose a quality item made by famous brands. Yes, you may have to pay more. Still, you will feel more confident regarding the brand. This way, your trauma shears will serve you for several years without requiring any attention.
Now, let’s have a look on our list of the 10 best trauma shears that you can buy online.
|Our Top Pick|
|xShear 7.5 Extreme Duty Trauma Shears||Check price on Amazon|
Other great trauma shears
Madison Supply, Premium Quality Fluoride Coated Medical Scissors, EMT and Trauma Shears 1-Pack
|Check price on Amazon|
Surviveware Trauma EMT Shears 7.5″
|Check price on Amazon|
LEATHERMAN – Raptor Medical Shears with Strap Cutter and Glass Breaker, Black-Orange with MOLLE Compatible Holster
|Check price on Amazon|
Titanium Bonded Trauma Shears by Recon Medical
|Check price on Amazon|
RIP Shears RS-2G Ripper
|Check price on Amazon|
Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7″
|Check price on Amazon|
Ever Ready Titanium Bonded Bandage Shears 7 1/4″ Bent
|Check price on Amazon|
EMT Trauma Shears with Carabiner
|Check price on Amazon|
North American Rescue Trauma Shear, 7 1/4″
|Check price on Amazon|
1. xShear 7.5 Extreme Duty Trauma Shears
The first option in our list of the best trauma shears is this awesome XSHEAR item. They are perfectly fine for any medical actions and serve their purpose to the fullest. However, any product has its own ups and downs, even if the latter is just its price or slightly worse looks.
For that reason, let’s check why you should purchase these trauma shears in the first place.
- They are made of super-durable Japanese stainless steel that is very strong and thick. You can be sure that you buy a high-quality item that will serve you long.
- The design is thought-out and well put together: for instance, these trauma shears are equipped with a secure center bolt that won’t go loose or flexing.
- Such trauma shears are coated with black titanium which increases its performance quality and adds bonus points to their stylish appearance. The shears by xShear definitely look expensive!
- The lower blade is designed to touch skin softly with no risk of damage, and the patented blunt tip helps with increasing safety as well. The shears are intended for healthcare purposes only, so only the inner sides of both blades have a sharpened edge.
- To help your comfort and tight grip, the handles are equipped with soft-touch inner rings coated with slip-free plastic.
However, there are downsides to this undeniably great item as well:
- These shears aren’t multifunctional. They serve solely one purpose: to provide a prompt reaction to any situation that involves a threat to another person’s health. They are especially helpful when there is a need to cut through clothing, including belts, thicker layers, etc.
2. Madison Supply, Premium Quality Fluoride Coated Medical Scissors, EMT and Trauma Shears 1-Pack
Next, we have a currently bestselling item in the category of medical scissors. Look at these trauma shears made by Madison Supply! You can get just one item or a pack of two trauma shears, it’s up to you. The second option helps you save some coins, so definitely go ask your fellow paramedic or nurse if they need a pair of good-quality trauma shears. Or just make them an unexpected gift straight away!
So, what are the advantages of this product?
- 7-inch long scissors with a non-stick fluoride coating serve perfectly all the needs that doctors, emergency physicians, and other healthcare workers might face during the day.
- The item is autoclavable which makes it possible to sterilize, although there’s a burn hazard: due to safety reasons, it is not recommended to touch the shears right after the sterilization.
- A pointy-end lower blade with serrations helps you with getting under clothing and cutting through it. You’re also welcome to use these trauma shears even for the toughest materials.
- The blades are made from stainless steel and the plastic handles are impact-resistant. When purchasing these shears, you can be sure that you buy a long-lasting tool that is durable enough to serve you for long years.
- Sure, there isn’t much you can do with trauma shears unless you’re a medicine man (or woman) and cutting through people’s clothing to get access to their wounds or traumas is an essential part of your work. In all other situations, you won’t find them particularly useful.
3. Surviveware Trauma EMT Shears 7.5″
Have you ever met those guys who look like they’re ready for the III World War so they have everything needed for survival and just casually carry all their stuff around while looking like a Vietnamese partisan? Yes, these trauma shears are designed for such lads. Even the brand name suggests we need to survive at all costs. And, apparently, it offers some good gear as well.
You won’t regret having these Surviveware trauma shears because:
- The blunt-tipped lower blade prevents you from cutting the skin.
- Razor-sharp edges can cut through any material (denim jeans, cotton, etc.), gauze, splints and bandages, and even seatbelts. Possibly, this is the main reason why you can survive using these trauma shears: in a bad case of the car crash, no seatbelt malfunction will get you off guard!
- A black fluoride coating on top of the stainless steel makes sure that nothing sticks to the shears. The materials are extremely durable and will show high performance.
- For a very low price, you get high-class trauma shears that suit any paramedic or doctor.
And here are the downsides:
- Taking such price into consideration, we must acknowledge that this product is not expected to have premium quality. As a professional healthcare specialist, you might want to opt for something more precise and effective.
- The design is nothing special either, and there are no extra features, so the item is extremely basic.
4. LEATHERMAN – Raptor Medical Shears with Strap Cutter and Glass Breaker, Black-Orange with MOLLE Compatible Holster
And now we’ll see something completely unlike. This is totally another side of the spectrum of trauma shears and medical scissors. Actually, this item is just much more than a cutting tool. So, we highly suggest that you check this LEATHERMAN’s product! The biggest difference between this item and any basic set of shears is that Raptor includes 6 diverse tools. Who doesn’t love multifunctionality, right? Let’s see what these scissors can do!
- These stainless steel shears let you cut through clothes safely, as well as get rid of bandages and other materials without hurting the injured.
- A strap cutter will help you get rid of seat belts and other types of straps in a second: it glides through toughest materials as if it was butter!
- On the back side of the lower blade, there’s a ring cutter, and you can find a ruler along the blade.
- There are two more useful tools, such as oxygen tank wrench and a carbide glass breaker. Don’t make a mistake of thinking you won’t really need these additional features: when a person’s life is at stakes, even the most useless (as you were possibly thinking) tool can make a significant impact on the situation.
- Finally, you can carry the shears both open and closed, i.e. with folded and unfolded handles.
However, those who purchased Raptor shears told us that:
- Raptors feel heavy and bulky in comparison to basic trauma shears. However, it is because they are very well engineered. Such type of gear forgives no faults and needs to be extremely good manufactured.
- Of course, these medical shears are less affordable than others. This isn’t just a usual item that anybody can have. It is intended mainly for professional use. However, they cost every penny.
5. Titanium Bonded Trauma Shears by Recon Medical
And now we’re back to basic. These trauma shears made by Recon Medical offer you a great deal as this is a nice quality for such price. If you still feel overwhelmed with the previous item, then it’s time to let it go and concentrate on this product. Please consider that these shears aren’t intended to be a crown jewel in terms of engineering or design. They are just good and simple shears that any medical specialist would be glad to use.
The advantages are as follows:
- Stainless steel scissors help you get access to the skin in seconds without hurting, cutting or scratching it.
- Titanium-bonded material is highly resistant to impact and pressure, thus remaining strong and durable for a really long time.
- The shears are lightweight, and thanks to their minimalistic design, you can put them in your backpack. In case of any possible travel emergencies, take them with you for a hiking trip, on a mountain biking tour, on a trail, etc.
However, there are “cons” to the item as well:
- The quality and design of the product are on the lower side, really. These trauma shears look neither fascinating nor expensive.
- The item serves the only purpose of cutting belts, clothes and other materials in a safe, fast and secure way. There’s really nothing else you can use them for.
6. RIP Shears RS-2G Ripper
The multifunctionality is back again! The brand Rip Shears offers you nice medical scissors that serve a bunch of purposes at the same time. By the way, this is really a middle ground in terms of pricing. Now, what they can really do?
- Apart from good-quality trauma shears, there is a hook knife that you can use to make a really precise and thin cut.
- A percussion hammer allows you to test deep tendon reflexes.
- An oxygen sensor wrench can be used to open O2 cylinders. This is quite a crucial feature for paramedics, nurses, and doctors as prompt and fast reaction can save somebody’s life.
- These medical shears are assembled in the USA which guarantees their nice quality.
- All in all, this is a professional tool for medicine men and women who appreciate great quality, high-class materials and comfort.
Although, there are a couple of downsides as well:
- This item made by Rip Shears is pricier than usual trauma shears. For the very same cost, you can get a set of 4 really basic shears. But again, they are more on a professional side of use.
- The design isn’t spectacular, and the shears don’t look expensive and well engineered.
- You should be careful with the pointy end of the lower blade as it has a hook knife that can hurt a person or cut their skin.
7. Clauss Titanium Bonded Bent Snips, 7″
For doctors and medical specialists who don’t like being extra, there’s a fine set of trauma shears that can make you interested in them because:
- Titanium bonded blades of these trauma shears are 3 times stronger than usual stainless steel blades. Their strength provides you with more security and durability in use.
- These shears’ materials are adhesive-resistant and corrosion-free.
- Plastic handles with anti-slip grips make the item comfortable to hold. You control your cutting even when the shears are used against thick materials, such as straps, belts, denim, etc.
- Serrated blades help with finishing a cut in a second!
- This is a simple set of shears that costs a very affordable price.
If you’re interested in purchasing these medical shears, make sure that you know all about their disadvantages:
- Poor design execution makes it a tasteless and boring choice.
- Unfortunately, there’s nothing particularly special in these shears, especially if we remember there is an insignificant overpay in comparison to the 3rd-ranked item in our list.
- Trauma shears can be used solely for their main and only purpose and there’s no way you can apply them differently.
8. Ever Ready Titanium Bonded Bandage Shears 7 1/4″ Bent
Haven’t you still picked something for yourself? Then see more trauma shears made by BP MEDICAL SUPPLIES! This is a good-quality and easy-to-use tool that will serve any medical specialist very well.
Let’s learn more about this product:
- Blunt-tip blades are suitable for cutting clothes, tapes, bandages, and other materials. They make perfect cuts without damaging the skin of the injured.
- Because of bonded titanium steel, their increased strength and stability are guaranteed.
- These trauma shears are specialized in medical emergencies.
- Get a second pair of trauma shears and save some money! The price is very hot here!
Still, be informed that:
- These trauma shears have the lowest price so far. Although they are highly affordable, it might affect their quality.
- They don’t really look great, and the multifunctionality isn’t present as well.
9. EMT Trauma Shears with Carabiner
Check another nice deal offered by a CarabinerShears brand in regards to trauma shears. This time, this is a good quality item with a carabiner that you can clip onto your waist. Their not very high price varies a little depending on the shears color (whether it’s blue, black or pink).
Advantages of such item:
- With a carabiner, you can clip the shears onto your waist so that it is always in your reach. Paramedics and nurses will appreciate that they can always have their trauma shears at hand. There’s no risk of losing them, too!
- Sharp blades with serrations can cut through any fabric quickly without any risk of cutting the skin as the shears are very safe and secure.
- This kind of Japanese stainless steel is used in surgical operations, and the blade length is standard for most hospitals.
- The shears are autoclavable and can be sterilized at 290F/143C for professional use.
- For a relatively cheap and unpretentious price, the item truly looks great! The colors of the handle are diverse and bright, and you might enjoy having a tool that isn’t just functional but fashionable as well!
- Because of the carabiner, you might find it uncomfortable to hold these trauma shears in your hand, as the rings of the handle aren’t fully connected and your fingers might slip.
- This is not a multifunctional tool as well, although the carabiner gives it some movement.
10. North American Rescue Trauma Shear, 7 1/4″
The last item in our list of the best trauma shears is this product by CPR Savers & First Aid Supply LLC.
So, the set of good characteristics is as follows:
- High-quality stainless steel blades cut through thick materials, bandages, denim, belts, etc. with a precise sharpness. The chance of cutting the skin has been brought to zero thanks to a minimalistic design with a rounded tip.
- Contoured handles guarantee you a safe and secure grip. While using these trauma shears, you have maximum control over your movements even if your hands are wet.
- The price is quite affordable, and there’s absolutely no reason for distrusting the manufacturer.
Still, you should pay your attention that:
- As well as other trauma shears in our list (with a small exception), the item can be only used by paramedics, nurses, doctors, etc. for professional purposes.
- It looks neither fascinating nor expensive.
No matter how safe the scissors may seem or whether there is a protection system in their design or not, do not forget that this tool’s main purpose is cutting things. Any scissors or shears are equipped with cutting elements which means that you can cut yourself easily or hurt another person. Therefore, when using scissors or shears, do not forget that safety should always come first. Use personal protective equipment and do your work carefully and deliberately – this is the only way to make sure nobody gets injured.
We hope that you’ve found our article on the best trauma shears helpful. Maybe a set of them will appear in your household first aid kit or in your garage. Thank you for reading!
FAQ for trauma shear buyers
1. Is it possible to sharpen shears?
Like any metal cutting tool, the trauma shear blades can blunt. In this case, it is not necessary to buy a new model and replace existing scissors. You can simply sharpen the trauma shear in the same way as standard scissors.
There is obviously a nuance with jagged blades – they will need to be worked on to keep the sharpness of the teeth. There are also special workshops that can help you. But if your model is too old or too cheap, the best solution is to get a new pair.
2. What is the difference between a trauma shear and a medical scissors?
Looking at this topic, you might think that trauma shear and medical scissors are different names for the same instrument. Actually, it is not true. Trauma shear is a special tool for emergency situations where it is important to cut through hard-to-remove items of clothing.
More often than not, Trauma shear has very sharp blades, as the material of the clothes may be too tight – straps or jackets. Medical scissors, however, may be designed for surgeons’ work, or for simple cutting of bandages.
3. So that makes the trauma shear similar to bandage scissors?
No, they’re not the same. Similar to medical scissors, these two types of cutting tools can have different purposes and situations for work. Usually, bandage scissors are only designed to work with bandages, paper, and tapes.
They are made of metal and differ significantly in size – the shears are much larger and have more massive blades. Of course, you can use trauma shears for cutting bandages, but they are not interchangeable. The trauma shears are designed to handle rough materials in an emergency.
4. Can all trauma shears be sterilized in an autoclave?
The way these shears are disinfected will depend directly on the materials used in their construction. For example, there are some types of plastic that can deform and break down after autoclaving.
If you want to use this method, you should refer to the product description and find out if the sterilization of tools is acceptable. Usually, the same heat treatment temperature is taken into account – each tool has its own maximum temperature.
5. Is it possible to cut the zippers or buttons?
Emergencies can happen at any time – even when you are wearing clothes that are incredibly loaded with details. Not always physicians just need to cut through the fabric – sometimes there are hard parts that cannot be ripped off.
Some models can indeed cut even very hard objects – such as buttons, locks, coins and much more. If the shear cannot cope with this, the patient’s life and health can be in danger.